📢ATTENTION WINTER GRADUATES! Share your photos using #BSOSgrad20 and #UMDgrad BY MONDAY, 12/7 to be featured in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences’ slideshow for winter commencement. Find out more about commencement at commencement.umd.edu
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Friday, September 18, 2020
There are recent alumni who are now regretful that they didn't participate more with career exploration events as a student so we really want to make sure students are aware of all of these opportunities!
The big event for now is the virtual Career & Internship Fair. View all career eventsCAREER & INTERNSHIP FAIR, Sept. 23, 24, & 24: The annual Career and Internship Fair, hosted by the University Career Center, provides UMD students and alumni with an opportunity to meet with employers to discuss internship, full-time and part-time employment opportunities. Employers are looking forward to meeting undergraduate and graduate students!Fair guide for SOCY Students (please share this document widely with your students)
BSOS CAREER CHATS: Explore career options over a casual chat with alumni/employers.Alumni Spotlight:
- International Development, October 6th @ 4 pm, Maggie Carroll, GVPT '17 | Associate, Chemonics International
- Federal Government/Legal, October 13th @ 4 pm, Nikkia Wharton, COMM '06 | Senior Counsel, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Research, October 21st @ 4 pm, Kadeem Khan, GVPT '15 | Associate Research Manager, Facebook's Data for Good
- Data Science, October 28th @ 4 pm, Erica Ryan, ECON '18 | Fannie Mae as a Quantitative Analyst
- Legal, November 3rd @ 12 pm, Taylor Henderson, GVPT '19 | Law Student, Villanova Law
INTERN FOR A DAY:Intern for a Day Lite will match UMD students with professionals working in a field of interest to conduct virtual informational interviews. "Hosts" can live and work anywhere nationally and internationally. This reimagined program takes the “cold calling” out of informational interviews and networking for students! Student registration: between October 5 - October 11.
VIRTUAL CAREER EXPLORATION, EMPLOYER & WORKSHOPS EVENTS:
KEY RESOURCES TO DIRECT STUDENT TO:
- The BSOS Your Career page provides information, resources, and tools geared toward BSOS students in all phases of career development.
- Careers4Terps has over 1,500 open positions for UMD students to apply for! Preview openings by industry.
- The federal/state government information page provides tips, events, and information related to government jobs and internships.
- Individual Career Planning appointments, offered by the BSOS Career Planning team and the University Career Center
- Job/Internship Search Strategies During COVID-19, BSOS Majors
Wednesday, February 12, 2020
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
11:49 AM (5 minutes ago)
The Jay G. CohenMemorial Student Opportunities Endowed Scholarship Fund is a memorial scholarship that honors the memory of Jay G. Cohen, a prominent Baltimore attorney and proud Terp husband and father. This fund was established to reduce the barriers to law school admission for UMD undergraduate students who have both financial need and demonstrated success at the University of Maryland, who have a strong interest in pursuing a career as an attorney. In particular, this fund will provide students with resources to pay for part (or all) of an LSAT preparation course, and/or for additional expenses incidental to the law school admissions process.
Questions regarding this scholarship or the application process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention creative writers! Are you a passionate fiction writer with a flair for storytelling? If so, submit your application today.
The Sebastian Herbstein Memorial Scholarship in Fiction Writing is a memorial scholarship that honors the memory of Sebastian Herbstein, a talented writer, dedicated scholar and son of UMD professor, Judith Freidenberg, which provides two prizes, $600 for first prize and $300 for second prize, for works of short fiction of 5,000 words or less. All full-time UMD undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
For complete award criteria, instructions, and an online application, please visit http://ter.ps/sebastian.
Questions? Contact Jennifer Kilberg, BSOS Alumni and Donor Relations at 301.405.2998 or jkilberg@
The Terp DreamScholarship is intended to provide scholarships to undergraduate first-generation college students who have completed at least one semester at the University of Maryland. This scholarship will provide aid to undergraduate students who also have prevalent financial need. Multiple scholarships will be distributed. The monetary award for these scholarships for the 2020-21 academic year will range between $500 - $1,000.
For complete award criteria, instructions, and an online application, please visit go.umd.edu/TerpDREAM20. Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 6, 2020. Selection(s) will be announced by Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
Questions regarding this scholarship or the application process should be directed to email@example.com.